Monday, July 8, 2019

TESL 0100 - Fundamentals of TESL - Unit 10

Unit 10: A look into the future

 Image result for put your own mask on first

As we come to the end of this fundamentals course, it’s a natural time to reflect on the 
journey and look to the direction we want to travel in. The path to becoming certified TESL
instructors will need to include continuing professional development, collaboration with others, 
self care, social responsibility and critical pedagogy. We aren’t alone, we have a supportive 
community of student peers and educators, as well as numerous published and online 
resources. 

As I reflect on how I would like to continue with my professional development and 
collaboration with others I will continue to draw on the supports I mentioned in my 
PLN drawing: Tutela, ESL teaching blogs/websites, Twitter, working at a school with other 
educators, class discussions with my TESL student peers, friends and family and will as PD 
days with MB Teal. As I grow and develop in my career as a language educator I hope to make 
more connections with the Twitter TESL community and will as with local TESL instructors. 
Something I really would like to do in the future is to attend TEAL Manitoba events and perhaps 
go to the BC TEAL annual conference as I hear it’s an excellent event. There are also many 
tele-conference style workshops and seminars that I often see posted on my Twitter feed that 
I think would be fun to partake in. Twitter is such a rich connection to the TESL world and I’m 
thankful that this course is designed in a way that encouraged us to engage with that 
community. I honestly wouldn’t have ever started a Twitter account for professional 
development reasons if this course hadn’t encouraged it. I’m happy I did! 

Related image

Another important part aspect of the teaching profession is self care and avoiding 
burn out. As a helping profession, teachers give a lot of themselves. Staying late after class 
to talk to a stressed out reufee mother, marking at home, planning early in the morning, trying 
to problem solve classroom issues, and juggling the needs of administrators and students. 
Something I’ve learnt along the way is that boundaries, firm priorities, and clear expectations 
are all important to maintain a professional relationship with your students and other teaching
staff. Another thing I’ve had to learn is that there is wisdom is “putting your own oxygen 
mask on first”. If you are run down and emotionally ragged you will very little use to those 
who you are teaching. You will have little to draw on while serving others, struggle with 
impatience, feel more negative and have trouble feeling joy in your work. Your students 
need you to bring strength, wisdom and love to your classroom. You are a leader in your 
classroom community and if you hanging on by a thread you really aren’t helping those 
around you. Immigrant adults who are learning English are most likely under quite a bit of 
personal stress themselves and are looking to you for help and direction.

As I reflect on the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual strain of the EAL classroom 
these are a few things I can predict for myself. Physically, as a teacher I know you are 
often hunched over a computer or a stack of papers, marking and lesson planning. In the 
classroom you are often leaning over desks and walking around the class. Ways that I can 
take care of myself are to exercise regularly, even if that means taking a walk in the evenings 
or doing some gentle yoga before bed. Emotionally, I foresee myself getting heavily invested 
in the lives of my students and wanting to help in every way I can. Knowing that I am an 
empathetic person I will need to set up healthy boundaries and keep in mind that it’s not my 
job to fix every stressful situation I’m made aware of. Another area that I predict may cause 
me stress is if there is disrespect in my class towards myself or others. A way that I can 
handle this is to draw on the support and wisdom of my administrators and fellow teaching 
staff. Mentally, I see myself perhaps getting frustrated if my teaching isn’t effective if the way 
I would like or if there is a big roadblock with one of my students that I can’t figure of a solution 
for. This is another situation that I will need to turn to my PLN in. Another mental strain may 
be just the stress of grading and lesson planning. Hopefully good planning and priorities will 
help to alleviate that strain.  Spiritually, I see myself becoming burdened and grieving for 
some of the stories I may hear. Some of the refugees I know have shared such sad and scary
stories with me, one can’t help of grieve for the state of our world. I think a way to deal with 
this strain is to look for the hope and resilience in these stories. Look for the love and strength 
that people have shown and focus of these things. As that Mr. Roger’s quote says, 
“Look for the helpers.”

Related image

As a look to the next step in my TESL education, I’m excited to see how I will continue to 
grow and how my guiding principles will continue to be shaped along the way. 



References: 

[Photograph of airplane wing] ( 2019). Retrieved from: 

[Photograph of airplane stewardess] ( 2017). Retrieved from: 
 http://www.bakjacconsulting.com/michelles-blog/2017/5/28/how-to-put-your-own-oxygen-
mask-on-first

[Mr. Rogers photograph and quote] (2017). Retrieved from: 
    https://twitter.com/usatoday/status/914905437442539520

No comments:

Post a Comment