Sunday, November 4, 2018

TESL 0130 - Reading and Vocabulary - Unit 4 Reflection


Unit 4: Passing the Torch to Students: Empowering the English 
Language Learner

Image result for if you want to learn how to swim you have to throw yourself in the water


We didn’t need to write a reflective blog post for this unit however I wanted to jot down some
thoughts as this module wraps up. This unit was on learner autonomy, self-directed 
learning and student motivation.

This is the first online course module I’ve ever taken in my life. Honestly I wasn't sure how
it would go - would I really be able to learn staring at the computer, sitting alone at my
kitchen table? Well a month later I can tell you this probably has been the most effective,
enjoyable, engaging learning experience at the university level I think I’ve ever had. Why? 
I was never bored! I felt like I was part of a community where my voice was heard, I reflected
on my learning regularly, I could easily ask questions and get feedback on my work from my 
classmates, I had to create material that demonstrated my understanding quickly after reading
it for the first time and I was challenged to adapt to technology. I feel like this online learning 
method pushed me to become a more autonomous learner. It’s been a busy month with
working full time, doing this course and all the other good things that fill my life... but I’ve
learnt so much and enjoyed myself along the way!

Related imageLearning Autonomy in our textbook is defined as the “individual effort and action through 
which learners initiate language, problem solving, strategic action and the generation of
linguistic input” (Brown and Lee, pp 628). Or in other words when students take
responsibility for their own language learning.

Students have an integral role to play in their learning and need to be given opportunities
to exercise their autonomy. Teachers need to foster confidence, initiative  and curiosity in 
their students. The learning atmosphere a teacher creates must be a positive space. Teachers
must encourage students to wonder at the world around them and engage with the humble
beauty of being a student.

We were introduced to 3 classroom strategies for autonomous learning in this unit. 
Metacognitive, cognitive, and socio-affective strategies. Metacognition is the awareness
and understanding of one’s own thought process, an example of this would be to get students
to make learning goals or reflect on what they would do differently the next time. Cognitive 
strategies are self-directed learning strategies like inferencing, using the SQ3R processes 
or word association. Socio-Affective strategies are when the learner makes connections with
their learning community by engaging in cooperative learning and asking questions of peers.

Resources:

Brown, D. & Lee, H. (2015) Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy.
Upper Saddle River: Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment